Ballarat Town Hall
Completed in 1870, this distinctive two storey classical revival building, with central mansarded clock tower of two levels and unusual pedimented end pavilions featuring fan-shaped glazing, is one of the few grand-scale symmetrical town hall design in Victoria, and reflects the civic pride of the Ballarat citizens of the 1860s, and their vision for the future. equipped with a peal of bells. Eight bells have chimed out across the city since the 1870s from the Town Hall Tower, which currently stands two storeys above the main building.
Although much of the building has been extensively modernised, the elaborately decorated and skylight stair hall and the mayor's room and adjoining council chamber, complete with the original 1860s chamber furniture, are intact. Having retained its natural cement render external finish as well as the stone dressings at ground floor level enhances the building.