Bank Chamber ~ Commercial Bank of Australia
The Banking Chamber and Entrance of the former Commercial Bank of Australia are of aesthetic, architectural and historical importance to the State of Victoria.
On 1 October 1866 the Commercial Bank of Australia Limited commenced business in the spacious building in Collins Street recently fitted out for their accommodation. Then known as No.30 Collins Street West and renumbered 337 in 1889, this address remained the site of the Bank's principal office in the heart of Melbourne's financial district during its whole 116 year existence, except for the period of rebuilding during the 1890s.
The building remained substantially unaltered until 1939 when the Collins Street facade was demolished and reconstructed to a new design. In 1990 a 29 storey office building was constructed, incorporating the 1893 Banking Chamber and entrance into the design. The Banking Chamber is octagonal in form, approximately 20 metres in diameter and covered by a great plaster dome with an iron and glass lantern. The height of the dome above the main floor of the chamber is approximately 30 metres with the lantern an additional 15 metres above it. The dome is derived from the octagonal plan by the intersection of arches, recalling the constructional system of the great mosques. The first storey consists of semi-circular arches in the Roman form surrounded by a storey of applied temple fronts of the richest decoration. The floor of the Chamber is a detailed mosaic. The 1893 entry is constructed of stone with large iron gates and a central barrel vaulted ceiling.
domearchesmosaicsiron gatesbankingJuliet Balconiesmarblepolished stone
From City Photo Walk ~ July